General Dentistry in Damascus
Though brushing and flossing are vital to your oral health, no amount of home care can make up for professional teeth cleaning. If you’re afraid of the dentist, you should know that there are a number of strategies that modern dentists use to make routine checkups as comfortable and painless as possible. If it’s been a while since you’ve been to the dentist, or if you’re looking for a new dentist in the Damascus area, consider reaching out to Damascus Dental Group for a dentist appointment. We will do everything we can to ensure that your mouth is as healthy as possible whether you need a tooth crown or dentures.
Preventing Gum Disease
While there are many ailments that can affect the mouth, gum disease is by far the most common. One of the chief objectives of general dentistry is preventing gum disease and tooth extraction.
- Brushing Twice a Day: It’s important to brush away plaque in the morning and at night. Doctors recommend brushing for two minutes at night, and for at least thirty seconds in the morning.
- Flossing Once a Day: Since your brush can’t reach the areas between your teeth, you’ll need to floss once every evening. The best way to get the plaque between your teeth is to gently wrap the floss around each tooth.
- Regular Dental Visits: Going to the dentist every six months is one of the most important aspects of gum disease prevention. There are some plaque deposits that only trained dental professionals can remove effectively.
What to Expect During Your Visit
If you’ve struggled with dental phobia in the past, you may find it helpful to meet with your dentist and discuss what occurs during a general dentistry checkup. Here’s a brief review of what you can expect.
- Thorough Oral Examination: Every checkup involves a thorough examination of your teeth and gums. Your dentist may also perform an oral cancer screening.
- Cleaning and Polishing: Your hygienist will scrape away any plaque deposits that developed during the past six months. Once your teeth are sufficiently clean, they will receive a coat of polish.
- Dental Treatments: Once the examination, cleaning, and polishing are finished, your dentist will make recommendations for fillings, cosmetic procedures, or other forms of treatment. If you brush and floss regularly, you shouldn’t need to undergo any additional procedures.
If you have any questions about general dentistry and teeth cleaning, call Damascus Dental Group at (301) 253-2174 to schedule a dentist appointment in Damascus. We’re dedicated to bringing healthy smiles to the people of Damascus.